The Brain Imaging and EEG Lab (BIEEGL) stands at the forefront of clinical neuroscience, focused on understanding the neural mechanisms underlying psychiatric illnesses. Our major research tools are electroencephalography (EEG) and functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI). BIEEGL is looking for talented post-doctoral computational neuroscientists interested in pursuing innovative brain science to answer some of most perplexing questions facing our field. Postdoctoral fellows will have unique opportunities to work in close collaboration with our team of neuroscientists, psychologists and psychiatrists.
This fellowship is funded by the Veterans Health Administration, which supports a two-year advanced fellowship program focused on using data science to advance research and patient care. The fellowship is associated with the Sierra Pacific Mental Illness Research Education and Clinical Center (MIRECC; VISN 21) and affiliated with the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF).
The ideal candidate will have:
- Matlab programming and data analysis expertise
- Experience with human brain imaging (EEG and/or fMRI) including analysis on both individual subject and group levels
- Experience applying QA programs to ensure high quality data
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills
- Creative problem solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A desire to work with an amicable, energetic, interdisciplinary team
- Prior research experience in neuroscience or in a related field
- Dan Mathalon, PhD, MD, fellowship co-director
- Judy Ford, PhD, fellowship co-director
- Susanna Fryer, PhD, program faculty
- Samantha Abram, PhD, program faculty
- Michael Jacob, MD, PhD, program faculty
VA fellow eligibility
Applicants must meet all three criteria:
- Postdoctoral researcher: Applicants must have obtained a PhD in engineering, computer science, physical science, or other related discipline including engineering, bioinformatics, computational neurobiology, statistics
- Computational background:
- Experience in bioinformatics, modeling, or management of large data sets
- Strong background in advanced mathematics and statistics
- Proficiency in at least one programming language
- U.S. citizenship: Applicants must be United States citizens to be hired by a VA facility. Non-citizens are encouraged to apply, but are not eligible for VA stipend support.
To learn more about the fellowship and application process, please contact Dan Mathalon, PhD, MD, at [email protected].